Top business people will be giving advice to local entrepreneurs at the fourth annual Wandsworth Enterprise Week next month.
Tooting and Wandsworth’s small businesses, start-ups looking to grow, and prospective entrepreneurs considering setting up their own business can book their free place now for the week-long programme of talks, workshops, networking opportunities, advice sessions and more.
Guest speakers will include:
- Jo Fairley – Co-founder of Green & Black’s Chocolate
- Andy Fishburn – Head of Investment at Virgin Start-up.
- Maria Kempinska – Founder of Jongleurs
- Mike Southon – Entrepreneur, author and business speaker
- Rebecca Burn-Callender – Former Enterprise Editor of the Daily and Sunday Telegraph
- Patricia van den Akker – Director, The Design Trust
- Kate Bassett – Features Editor, Management Today
Virgin Startup, the event partner, will be running a series of workshops and talks as well as taking part in the Wandsworth Den. Virgin StartUp is the not-for-profit Virgin company for entrepreneurs which has helped thousands of businesses with government-backed start-up loans and free mentoring.
Participating organisations include NatWest, Prince’s Trust, the Design Trust, Google, Newable, Business Today magazine, the Intellectual Property Office, Seedrs, New Covent Garden Market, Young Enterprise, Workspace, Blue Dot Consulting and Hodders Law.
Highlights of the week include:
- The Wandsworth Business Forum – Enjoy complimentary canapes and drinks, network and be inspired by guest speakers Jo Fairley and Mike Southon.
- Ready Steady Grow masterclass with Virgin Startup – Turbo charge your business idea with workshops and pitch your business to a ‘Dragons’ Den’-style panel of judges.
- Pop-up business advice clinics – one-to-one advice sessions which include PR, business law, start up finance, managing cashflow and business development.
- The Digital Garage with Google – Get the confidence, tools and skills you need to make your business more visible online.
- Women’s Enterprise Day – a celebration of female entrepreneurship on International Women’s Day
- Creative Enterprise – how creative businesses can increase sales and attract new clients
The event is organised by the council’s Economic Development Office, which supports the local business community.
Places are free, but numbers are limited so must be booked in advance. Priority will be given to Wandsworth businesses and residents.
Wandsworth’s business spokesman Cllr Kim Caddy said, “It’s important to have a thriving businesses sector and Wandsworth Enterprise Week gives our start-ups and SMEs the tools they need to grow and flourish, as well as inspiring our residents to set up on their own. I would urge all our local entrepreneurs to take a look at what’s on offer and book their place now.”
Ian Mason, Head of Development at Virgin StartUp, said: “We’re delighted to partner with Wandsworth Borough Council to support the delivery of Wandsworth Enterprise Week. We’re excited to meet local residents, hear their ideas and help to grow them into sustainable businesses and strongly encourage everyone interested in starting or growing a business to come along and find out how to make it happen!”
Wandsworth Enterprise Week takes place March 6 to 11 at venues across the borough and is completely free.