As part of his regular column, this month our Community Partner, Ed Barros of Tooting-based Permanex Plumbing, gives us some great tips to help keep our boilers in excellent working shape over the winter months.
EB: Christmas is a time of year where the last thing anyone wants to worry about is having no heating or hot water due to a broken-down boiler. There are a few things that homeowners and landlords can do to minimise the risk of this happening.
- Have the boiler serviced and the heating checked before it gets too cold in the winter months. It will be easier to book an appointment with an engineer before the cold really kicks in.
- Regular maintenance can extend the lifespan of the boiler and keep it running when you most need it. During this visit you can ask the engineer to bleed the radiators to make sure that there is no air in the system and that the radiators are all getting hot from top to bottom.
- Check your heating before winter really sets in and make sure that your heating programmer and thermostat are set up correctly. Turning the heating on prior to the weather turning really cold will give you piece of mind that it will work when you need it to. If you have a timer, set the times for when you will be home so that the boiler is only running when you need it to, and set your thermostat to your desired temperature – good controls on your boiler can save you money on your energy bills as well!
- For properties with combi boilers or sealed heating systems, make sure you check the pressure on the heating system, which will be via a pressure gauge on the boiler or sometimes by the hot water cylinder if you have one. Many boilers will not work with low pressure and it is often very simple to top the pressure up. In most cases we can talk our customers through this process which not only gets the boiler up and running again but also saves money on an engineer’s visit.
- If you notice any cracks, or leaks, clunking noises or black, sooty marks this all could suggest you might have a problem. The sooner you detect and repair a fault, the better. It’s also wise to make sure that any external vents, flues and airbricks are free from blockages and debris.
- Make sure you always see a strong, clear blue flame in your boiler. If it appears different, yellow or smoky then please call your local plumber immediately.
- Make sure your home is safe from carbon monoxide this winter. This is a gas that you can’t see, smell or taste. Speak to us about installing a Carbon Monoxide detector and we will advise on where to put it and how it works. We will also show you how to test the detector, which should be done every month.
Permanex Plumbing are also now offering a 10% discount off the final invoice amount to all clients who quote ‘Tooting Daily PRSS’. This includes labour and materials on hourly rate work only (quoted works not included). The discount will apply to all hourly rate jobs carried out until 31st December 2016 and is open to both new and existing customers.
They are also extending the offer to Trident Business Centre tenants (quoting ‘Trident’) and Business Launchpad alumni (quoting ‘Business Launchpad’ or ‘BLP’).
Permanex Plumbing is one of our valued Community Partners. To find out more about our Community Partners, please click here.